Inquiry on Careers and Opportunities in Sustainable Food Production

Good Afternoon,

I hope this message finds you well. My name is Hanna Lewicka, and I am pursuing an MSc in Applied Biosciences and Biotechnology at Imperial College London. I have a strong passion for sustainable food production, with a particular focus on alternative proteins.

As I am keen to build a career in this innovative and impactful field, I would be grateful for any advice you could offer on how to enter the industry. Additionally, if you are aware of any PhD or job opportunities related to alternative proteins, cellular agriculture, fermentation, and further biotechnological processes related to food production, either within your organisation or elsewhere, I would greatly appreciate any insights you could provide.

Thank you very much for your time and consideration. I look forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,
Hanna Lewicka
Imperial College London

1 Like

Hi Hanna

So sorry that your message was stuck in a review queue. We’re going to investigate to find out what went wrong there.

On how to enter the industry, my default answer in the past would be to start off with a job with a big producer to get some real world experience prior to going into consultancy where you may get a more varied range of experience. I’d also thoroughly recommend getting experience overseas in an emerging market, where you’re likely to get responsibility earlier.

These days however, I’d probably tear up that playbook. If you don’t already have a family to support and mortgage to pay, then you may be in an enviable position where your tolerance to risk can be quite high. In that case my recommendation would be to try a startup. Either starting one yourself if you have a suitable idea, or joining one.

As for PhD’s and jobs - which countries are you open to?

If willing to go the startup route, PhD’s can either be very helpful, or somewhat restrictive. I know some current/recent PhD candidates who have been rather shackled by their University/Supervisor’s IP position. Conversely, I probably know more who are managing to spin out quite successfully because of it.

Kind regards

Martin

Thanks so much for the tips! I really appreciate them.

As for PhDs and job role locations, I am aiming for London, Germany, Spain or Switzerland,. However I am quite open to other European countries and parts of the UK.

1 Like

Excellent, if there’s nowhere in the UK/Europe you wouldn’t consider that makes the search much easier, what about North America?

I would consider the California region or New York if I was super passionate and eager about the company or project, but would definitely prefer to be more local to Europe due to my family being here. However, as mentioned, if I find the company or PhD much more interesting to anything in Europe I would definitely consider it!

OK, I’ve reached out to three potential supervisors in Europe. Lets see if any respond here.

Thanks very much!

hanna