Evaluating platinized electrodes for electrolysis

I decided to run an experiment to test two different platinized electrodes for the in-situ electrolysis, and thought I’d write up the results.

I bought a platinized titanium mesh electrode on Ebay for £8.72 and like @Martin I cut out a smaller piece using a hacksaw to be able to fit it inside the Pioreactor’s 20mL vial.

I 3D printed the vial cap for eIetrolysis and CO2 sparging and attached ring terminals to two female Dupont wires. I then used a short 10mm bolt and two nuts to attached the electrode and wire to the vial cap. I also attached an M4 stainless steel bolt and nut to the other ring terminal through the vial cap.

I made up some macro nutrient solution (with no micronutrients and distilled water) and added it to the vial. I connected the platinized mesh electrode to channel D positive on the Pioreactor, connected the stainless steel electrode to channel D negative and set the LED channel D intensity to 10%:

I then placed the vial inside the Pioreactor and measured the change in optical density over 6 hours:

That’s a big OD increase considering that there was nothing growing in the nutrient solution:

I suspect the platinized titanium electrode is maybe not platinized and/or made of titanium, as it was looking worse for wear, while the stainless steel electrode looked fine:

Next up I wanted to repeat the experiment with a short platinum electrode I bought for £28.60 (including shipping). It was significantly more expensive than the mesh version, but is just the right size to fit inside the vial and would provide a good baseline as I’m more convinced that this electrode was platinized and made of actual titanium.

I designed a vial cap that would fit the short platinum electrode and wired it up using a crocodile clip instead of a ring terminal. I used the same stainless steel electrode from the previous experiment and refreshed the nutrient solution:

Again, I set the channel D intensity to 10% and waited another 6 hours:

As you can see there was very little variation in the overall optical density. The variations can probably be accounted for by the hydrogen and oxygen bubbles in the solution.

The solution was also still clear:

There was some discolouration on the platinum electrode, so maybe we should decrease the channel intensity even further to prolong the lifespan of the electrode:

From these two experiments, I think it’s safe to assume the mesh electrode is not fit for purpose. Maybe someone knows of a more reputable source of the platinized mesh electrodes that would like to repeat this experiment?

That’s brilliant, well done.

The first was similar to the experiment that killed my YouTube series. I was doing it with microbes and a crazy orange vitamin pill micronutrient attempt. It did something similar but took me ages to find out, because I let it run much longer before looking at it. I then decided on a number of experiments I needed to run to determine exactly what was happening, but ran out of cash & needed to focus on both paid work to feed the family and grant applications so we can make the effort sustainable.

I think I agree with your conclusions. I also think a longer platinum electrode would fare better, with a larger surface area to reduce current density while maximising electrolysis.

What about using the platinum electroplating mesh (or a more reputable one) to electroplate our own titanium bolt anodes within a pioreactor vial?

@gerrit - is your new cap design published anywhere? Goldn have confirmed that they don’t offer customised versions. I might try one of their 85mm long 6mm diameter electrodes if I can’t find a way to tap a bolt into the titanium, or otherwise attach it to a vial cap.

@Martin Just published it on Printables:

https://www.printables.com/model/974845-pioreactor-vial-cap-with-hole-for-6mm-electrode

1 Like

Brilliant, thanks for this Gerrit. Richard at Spa Plating (goldn.co.uk) has also agreed to do a couple of 60mm long specials for us. He also recommended that if we’re going to require regular large quantities, we might consider fabricating them ourselves & mentioned that they have some videos outlining the platinising process.

I presume these are the most relevant ones:

@Martin Nice!

Have you tried testing if your mesh electrode is fake? (I need to buy some hydrogen peroxide first):