Wave Bioreactor

The developer of the Wave Bioreactor that @danwchan and Biotech without Borders have been using was asking some questions in a discussion on Crowd Manufacturing in the excellent GOSH forum, I thought I should repeat them here so we can all chip in:

"I’m not sure how precise your bioreactor needs to be but I suspect it has to be able to do a large volume because you are talking production. I think BoB will be too busy to do anything external for about one year.

Mine was designed to be general purpose, fairly large volume and use soft agitation that does not break mammalian cells.

How do you intend to distribute the proteins?

What are the special requirements for HOBacteria?"

>

@“Martin”#p42 I’m not sure how precise your bioreactor needs to be but I suspect it has to be able to do a large volume because you are talking production.

At present we're just doing research, so (other than if we come up against issues with accuracy of measurement of small masses/volumes, or other edge effects) the smaller the volume the lower the cost of the experiment.

But yes in due course we'll be looking to scale up to multiple litres, and hopefully even bigger...

>

@“Martin”#p42 Mine was designed to be general purpose, fairly large volume and use soft agitation that does not break mammalian cells.

>
>

How do you intend to distribute the proteins?

Cell Ag with mammalian cells could be wonderful. For my personal work, I'd like to get the basics of single cell protein sorted first, but I hope we have (or will have) people in our community who are able to get into cultured meat.

Protein distribution is currently very far off. I would imagine that if we get some viable protein fermentations open sourced, then people working on them may start or join companies, scale them up, and get all the required licenses to start selling the flour/cheese/etc. locally and hopefully nationally.

>

@“Martin”#p42 What are the special requirements for HOBacteria?

I asked this question in our [Air Fermentation](https://forum.amybo.org/d/6-air-fermentation-protein/4) discussion, and hope we can discuss the generic requirements there, and then pull any Wave Bioreactor specifics back here, but the defining characteristic of Hydrogen Oxidising Bacteria is gaseous Hydrogen, so we would need to be able to feed the culture a hydrogen enriched gas stream.

Is that something you can do with a Wave Bioreactor?